Rotterdam & Amsterdam
August 22nd – 24th, 2016
Join us this summer and learn about improving cities and creating great streets and places for people. Discover everything you need to know about placemaking and placemanagement, bike-friendly cities, tactical urbanism and how to implement a long term strategy. Become a member of The City at Eye Level community and expand your network with an international and interdisciplinary group of professionals.
Cities worldwide each face their own challenges according to their social and economic context to improve the quality of public space. But how do we create great streets and places where people want to be? Join our City at Eye Level Masterclass and learn how to improve cities, streets and places by developing a people-centered approach to placemaking. Learn about analyzing places with placemaking games, develop a specific strategy by using the City at Eye Level toolbox, experience bike-friendly cities like Amsterdam and get inspired on how to create great streets and places for and by people.
- Placemaking: turn public spaces into great places where people want to be
- The City at Eye Level: creating streets and places for people
- Adopting a community-based approach: involve and activate ownership
- Tactical Urbanism: lighter-quicker-cheaper actions to start change now
- Develop visions and criteria for newly built areas or for transforming existing areas
- Place and street management: building coalitions as a long-term sustainable strategy
- Mobility and movement: bicycle-friendly cities, infrastructure, culture, and design.
Get inspired by examples from international practices and exchange ideas with participants from other disciplines and organizations.
Day 1: Rotterdam. Where The City at Eye Level started. Rotterdam is a modernist city that has been working on inner city improvement extensively and has lots of inspiring cases for street improvement and placemanagement.
Day 2: Amsterdam. We will experience high quality people-centred public spaces in a historic city that is continually transforming itself. We’ll take a closer look at the design, culture, and bicycle infrastructure of this world class cycling city.
Day 3: Rotterdam. The third day will focus on ZOHO in Rotterdam. Working with the community, Stipo redeveloped this dead area into an innovation district. It is a “Living Lab” for tactical urbanism, reactivating ground floors and vacant buildings, makers and social enterprises, and placemaking and placemanagement.
The City at Eye Level initiating partners at Stipo and a network of City at Eye Level contributors, including international leaders in placemaking, urban designers and planners. Through our worldwide network of contributing partners we can help cities and people anywhere to develop strategies to create and improve their own great City at Eye Level.
Our core partners include Project for Public Spaces, Gehl Architects, Future of Places, UN Habitat, Copenhagenize and the FAU PUCRS University in Porto Alegre. Next to that, we have a worldwide network of many local partners and contributors with whom we work together to utilize locally rooted knowledge and networks.
- experts working on improving streets, plazas and parks in cities
- professionals in public space and urban planning
- traffic engineers and bicycle advocates
- civic leaders active in placemaking and community-driven approaches
- politicians looking to improve public space
- entrepreneurs, real estate owners and developers who want to learn about the city at eye level
- students and young professionals who want to develop their skills
- A three-day course at our headquarters in the centre of Rotterdam plus a day trip to Amsterdam.
- Learning by doing at inspiring locations
- Background material for theory and practice and a pragmatic action toolbox from The City at Eye Level, Project for Public Spaces and Stipo
- International experience and examples and membership to the international City at Eye Level community
- Access to all our open source resources and a copy of The City at Eye Level book
- An interdisciplinary group at the masterclass and a lasting membership of the global City at Eye Level community
Fees including lectures, book, materials, local travel costs, lunches and dinner: € 750 (ex tax)
Or apply for one of three available scholarship for students: fee €300 (ex tax).
To apply send us a letter telling us why you should receive a scholarship.
Sign up now!
If you are interested, please contact us with the form below to register.